Friendship has elected eight pastors, Rev. Anthony Hammond was the first pastor, serving from 1880 - 1885. Rev. Hammond's grave in located in a wooded field below the Reedy River Baptist Church cemetery on highway 250 in Travelers Rest, SC. The first clerk under Rev. Hammonds' administration was Mr. Ansel Arnold, Sr. followed by Bro. S. L. Collins. Ordained as deacons were Deacons Solomon, William Goodlet, S. L. Collins and Adam Reed.In 1885, Rev. John Washington was elected as pastor, serving until 1918. The former Friendship Baptist Church building was constructed. Ordained as deacons were, Deacons Roberts, Peter White, Newton Carter and John Heyward. Brother S. l. Collins was licensed to preach. Rev. Washington died in 1918 during his administration.
A few months after the death of Rev. Washington, Rev. J. W. Wilburn was elected as pastor, serving from 1918-1932. Rev. Wilburn is credited for the first indoor baptistery, choir room and the first pastor's study. Ordained as deacons, R. W. Collins, J. T. Simpson, Zet Smith and John P. Wright. Bro. R. W. Collins was licensed to preach. . Following Rev. Washington, Reverends T. R. Tolbert and J. H. Miller served as pastors/ Rev. Tolbert served from 1932- 1934 and Rev. Miller from 1934-1935. Ordained as deacons Harrison Griffin & Bob Cunningham. Rev. R. W. Collins was ordained as a minister. In 1936, Rev. C. E. Butler was elected as pastor, serving from 1936 -1975. During Rev. Butler's administration, several auxiliaries and organizations were established, Willing Workers Club, Usher Boards, Sunshine Club, Deaconess, Vacation Bible School YWA's, BTU, and the Scout program. Ordained as deacons, Leroy Simpson, T. C. Hawthorne, William Hawthorne, John Thomas Carey, Sr. Horace Scott, Thornton Goldsmith, J. C. Dirton, Sr. Malvin Ashmore and Furman Dirton, Sr. Licensed and ordained to preach, Rev. T. C. Butler. Rev. Bobby Randolph joined the church's fellowship in the early 1970's. August, 1975, Rev. W. O. Harrison became the seventh pastor, serving from 1975-1982. During Rev. Harrison's administration, the following organizations were established; Male Chorus, Brotherhood and the Gospel Choir were re-organized. Ordained as deacons, Robert T. Jones and Paul Goodjoin. Reverends Thornton Goldsmith, John T. Goldsmith and Robert Wayne Owens were licensed to preach. On May 21, 1982, Rev, W. O. Harrison read his letter of resignation. December, 1982, Rev. J. W. Johnson was named the eighth pastor. New ministries have been added, Nurses Guild, Junior Ushers and reorganization of YWA's and the Male Chorus. Reverends Charles Terry Wright, Napoleon White and Lyndon Johnson have been licensed to preach. Ordained as deacons, Roy Williams, Jr. Furman Dirton, Jr. George Smith, Odell Harrison, James Williams, Sr. Robert Mangrum, Sr., Donald Smith and Preston Smith.
In the history of Friendship has ordained three ministers into the gospel, seven have been licensed to preach. The church has had nine clerks, Ansel Arnold, S. F. Collins, j. P. Simpson, R. W. Collins, Margaret Miller, William Hawthorne, Ebbie Walker, Marjorie Allen & Yolande Allen. Serving as church musicians, Lula Payne, Lydia Simpson, Margaret Miller, Nina Butler Lewis, Zelphia Hawthorne Arnold Dorothy Dirton Hill, Thomasina Hawthorne Jackson, Julia Ashmore Williams, Carolyn Pinson Goodjoin, Sharon Ashmore Hawthorne, Tramell Goodjoin and Chris Goodjoin.
We are thankful to Christ fro the blessings he has bestowed upon Friendship Baptist Church. To God be the glory.